Professional modeling sees major changes in its 2016 top earners, even though Gisele Bundchen remains catwalk queen with $30.5 million in the bank. The big story is Kendall Jenner, who registered a 150% gain, year-on-year, to land at number three with $10 million. The story of how the 20-year-old managed this is also the story of this year’s top models (20 on the full Forbes list) and may reflect a new reality.
Jenner and newcomer to the list Gigi Hadid (number five with $9 million) are estimated to have made a large part of their incomes from their not inconsiderable Instagram followings (64.5 million and 22.1 million, respectively). Forbes says Jenner earned millions from Estee Lauder and Calvin Klein by virtue of her ability to influence her millions of followers. Hadid, 21, accomplishes the same with Maybeline and Tommy Hilfiger.
All told, the top 20 earned a total of $154 million and they boast close to 200 million Instagram followers (both stats were compiled between June 1, 2015 and June 1, 2016).
Adrianna Lima gives a Brazil 1-2 finish at the top with her $10.5 million earnings. Yes, the gap between Bundchen, 36, and Lima, 35, is $20 million, which just means Bundchen is in a league of her own.
Once you get to Jenner, the figures get closer and the race gets tighter. In fact, Jenner and Karlie Kloss are tied for third place, with just $500,000 less than Lima. Hadid and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley are just behind with $9 million for a joint 5th place finish.
The Forbes list in full is below:
- 1. Gisele Bundchen ($30.5 million)
- 2. Adrianna Lima ($10.5 million)
- 3. Kendall Jenner ($10 million)
- 3. Karlie Kloss ($10 million)
- 5. Gigi Hadid ($9 million)
- 5. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley ($9 million)
- 7. Cara Delevingne ($8.5 million)
- 8. Candice Swanepoel ($7 million)
- 8. Liu Wen ($7 million)
- 10. Miranda Kerr ($6 million)
- 11. Lara Stone ($5.5 million)
- 11. Natalia Vodianova($5.5 million)
- 13. Kate Moss ($5 million)
- 13. Alessandra Ambrosio ($5 million)
- 13. Doutzen Kroes ($5 million)
- 16. Joan Smalls ($4.5 million)
- 17. Lily Aldridge ($4 million)
- 17. Taylor Hill ($4 million)
- 17. Barbara Palvin ($4 million)
- 17. Jasmine Tookes ($4 million)